This is super embarrassing and hilarious but, it was a good experience. After practically getting 100% on the written test, I expected to nail my solo cross-country flight and came a bit short of that.

What does "practically" getting 100% mean? Well, I got 2 wrong for a score of 97. But, strangely, that's because my study guides had those 2 answers wrong -- my CFI let me know that only the FAA knows the private pilot exam answers and there are publishers, like Gleim and ASA and Jeppesen, who might have a couple discrepant answers here and there. So had I gotten the subset of questions that were not discrepant, I could have gotten 100; and that's what I keep telling myself. ☺

What does a "cross-country flight" mean? Well, it doesn't mean a five day trip across the nation (which is what everyone thinks initially). Rather, it's flying over a total distance of 75 or more nautical miles to two different destinations to a full-stop landing. At least one leg of this cross-country must be over a total distance of at least 25 nautical miles (46 km). So, it can be done in a 3-hour round trip flight.

Although my first solo cross-country flight was enjoyable, I had a few hiccups. As you can take a listen (you can hear me at 1:33) to the audio clip that was archived at LiveATC.net -- beware pilots: they record EVERYTHING .. LOL --, I thought I was lost and it turns out that I was right next to the Ocala airport that I was looking for! *smacks forehead*

What's next? Studying hardcore for the oral exam and practicing all of my maneuvers in preparation for the all-day checkride with the examiner, which, if I pass, gets me a private pilot certification. Just thinking about it makes me forget to breathe!

3 Responses so far.

  1. All part of the learning process :). I bet there are two types of people in the world. Those that fly and have done this before and those that don't fly and think your communication with the tower is amazing! I'm the latter :)

  2. mo.honey says:

    Thanks Honeybear and j-kitty! :)